Serving as president of a PTA includes the responsibility to lead that PTA toward specific goals chosen by its members. The goals must be consistent with the policies and Purposes of the PTA. The president is the presiding officer and the official representative of the association. All written materials produced by PTA (e.g., newsletters, fliers, website postings, or notices) are to be cleared with the PTA president and school principal before publishing. The principal is responsible for the accuracy of school information and compliance with the State Education Code and school district policy. The PTA president is responsible for the accuracy of PTA information and compliance with PTA policies.
The President shall:
- Coordinate the work of ofﬁcers and committees of the association in order that the purposes may be promoted.
- Preside at all meetings of the association and the executive board.
- Be a member ex ofﬁcio of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Appoint the corresponding secretary, the parliamentarian, the chairmen and members of committees, subject to the ratiﬁcation of the executive board.
- Prepare the list of association ofﬁcers and chairmen required for directory data.
- Sign all authorizations for payment as required by the executive board or association.
- Be responsible for preparing the association annual report required by the California State PTA.
- Be the ofﬁcial representative of the association at council and district meetings.
- Have all newsletters, ﬂyers and/or notices approved by the principal, prior to distribution.
- Have all contracts and/or legally binding documents approved by the association, prior to signing a contract along with another elected ofﬁcer.
- Be authorized to sign checks.
- Perform such other duties as may be prescribed in the bylaws or assigned by the association.